Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stories of a Visa Application - Addendum: Dreams

 Fast forward to Part IV: http://ocavusoglu.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/stories-of-visa-application-part-vi.html
-----------
My documents have been at the British Consulate Istanbul for the last 2 weeks, and these last 2 weeks have been entertaining and relaxing after the stress of preparing the application. However, this does not go without saying that everyday I check for the updated status of the application and my unconscious sometimes does prevail at nights over what I try not to think too much during the day.

Last week, I had 3 consecutive nights of dreams about the outcome of the application:

The first day I dreamt that I could not get the visa and I was quite depressed when I woke up. Trying hard not to devastate myself with this, I think I even forgot about the dream during the day (correct me those of you if I told you about this dream that day).

On the second day, I dreamt that I got the visa. This time I told a bunch of people I dreamt these two opposing scenarios back to back in 2 nights.

The third day's dream summed up my mindset:

In the dream I was being entertained on a ferry wheel that reminded me much of the London Eye (good sign 1!). I was talking to my parents and a few friends, also on the ferry wheel but it also felt a bit uncomfortable as the seats we sat on were open on all sides, there was a lot of wind, we were revolving over some huge water and it all felt as if we could fall any time. Anyways, I had 2 passports in my hand. As I was going to find out later, apparently I had 3 passports on me at that moment in the dream. The 2 passports I had in my hand revealed were both brand new, with the blue jacket of the passport and the golden ink on it still fresh. Inside the first one I had a UK Visa, a Schengen visa and even a few stamps from some German passport control gates. This felt as if I was already dreaming of a future with a good-ending. On the second passport, I had nothing. All pages were blank.

When I woke up and thought about the dream, I only took it as a positive one for the sake of that 1 passport with 2 visas in it. I also thought the other new passport was something extra, something that I could probably use if the 1st one was lost or something.

Then... Then I realized later during the day, that, in fact the 2 passports just symbolized the 2 possible outcomes. I had dreamt of each outcome in the preceding 2 nights consecutively, and now on the 3rd night I was dreaming of them both. A combined mind-confuser!!

I think this sums up quite nicely, what my prospects may be and what my approach to the whole thing is. "Up in the air", just the way I was, up in the air, in the dream on that London Eye-like ferry wheel...

No comments: