Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Existential Being of a Thesis work-in-progress

Following are pictures from the kitchen of my house. I took them whilst in the early stage of miserable work on my Master's thesis. It sheds light to the true existentialism of the Thesis created and given meaning by the sole author (me) in a Heideggerian sense of 'dwelling environment' in which the objects are only meaningful and relevant to the environment by the use I make out of them. The isolated first-person narrative is the eye behind the camera, depicting the kitchen table the way it is without his meaningful presence (although, in this case, if one reads the notes I've been taking for my Thesis material, one should rightfully judge my 'meaningfulness'). Yet again, the very nature of an abstract thinking process questions my association with the outside world. As an isolated soul, my survival depends upon a bag of crisps, a pack of hummus, Nutella, some bread and honey, a few books, my laptop, £10.01 remaining on my bank account and these very words now you're reading transmitted by my 'nothingness' to you dear subjects. So, before I vanish into my non-existence please record my once-ever presence and remember me as a friend that was 'not there'.

Please click on the images to zoom in and see the secrets hidden in the details of the objects on the table.


Picture 1-



From left to right: "Istanbul and the Concept of World Cities, Keyder & Oncu", the Inter-Library slip reminding me I have to return this book by tomorrow so that British Library can send it to the place they borrowed it from; a teddy bear I had found on the street - as isolated as me; "Stasiland, Anna Funder" so that there is non-academic stuff that I also read, a bag of crisps: Sundried Tomato, Garlic&Basil flavour; a pack of Hummus as a dip-in service to the crisps, the two-combined reminding me of my Mediterranean roots; a pack of honey to help with pumping sugar to the brain in need; my mobile phone with no phone calls/messages during the weekday; and in the foreground is he famous T-shirt.



Picture 2-



From left to right: A huge bottle of Evian water so that I don't have to drink coffee made of nasty tap water all the time; Nutella (team-mate of the honey); the laptop that holds the most of the evidence of what all this fuss is about; my Bank account reminding me that I've got £10.01 left, good enough to withdraw a £10 bill from the ATM because they only come in multiples of 10 and signalling that I've done a good job to survive until now and I shall be spoilt with my mom's arrival tomorrow afternoon if I can live on £10.01 for another 24 hours. Other software running on the machine give a hint to how to deal with this work: Surf and research on Mozilla, play some Chess, listen to music on ITunes, chat on Messenger, type your stuff on Pages application and play around with Photoshop.


Picture 3-



The edge of the table with the chair where I like to put my feet on. Hanging on it is the environmental friendly bag to shop with. All of the materials seen on the table have gone through this bag before making their way here. Further to the right is the sink and the dishes, my biggest companions in the cyclical process of getting messed-up, dirty and clean back again. Metaphorical it may sound, studying indoors, grilling and drinking outdoors at the end of the week is the cyclical process on which many of us survive.

Below is the combined picture, again you can click on it to see it in detail.


4 comments:

Lara FRESKO said...

güzel bi çalışma alanıymış sevdim, mutfak hep mantıklıdır zaten. ışık da var. yannız pencereden görülen manzarayı merak ettim :)

gülben said...

senin istanbulun gelmiş..gel bi ton balıklı mısırlı makarna yapayım sana

basakiper said...

Why is it Thesis, instead of thesis?
Something special?

Ömerillo said...

It's not only special, it's also unique! (supposedly) =)